The budget airliner said they will look to “diversify” the routes they transport tourists along amid outbreaks of angry protests by disgruntled residents sick of their home towns and cities becoming tourist traps.
Spain was placed under siege from violent protests as many resorted to anti-tourism slogans and graffiti throughout its tourist hubs this summer.
Barcelona and other Spanish regions including San Sebastian and Mallorca saw the worst of the backlash against the supposed mass tourism affecting their local culture, as the country experienced a record 75.6 million tourists just last year.
In Italy, locals in Venice called to cap the number of travellers allowed to enter the city as it struggles under the pressure from travellers.
During a meeting held in Madrid yesterday, Ryanair was urged to promote “alternative destinations” and “decentralise tourism” to stem so-called tourism-phobia.
It comes after the Irish airline announced five new routes from Madrid starting next summer.
Kenny Jacobs, marketing manager, said the airliner would look to travel to other places including Italy’s Bergamo, Malta, Ireland and Madrid to avoid stoking more tension.
The airline also called on hotel establishments to maintain “low costs” and hit out at tourism policies in Spanish areas, such as the Canary Islands, where “costs are out of the market”.
Last month around 20 young people affiliated with left-wing group Arran that supports Catalan independence burst into a restaurant in Palma de Mallorca.
The group disrupted around 70 diners inside the restaurant Mar de Nudos situated near to the cathedral by setting off firecrackers and threw confetti.
While in Bilbao, northern Spain, another group sprayed paint across the headquarters of the Basque Country tourist board.
The groups claim tourism is destroying Spanish cities, driving up rent and forcing out young people.
The unhappiness surrounding the increase in tourism also hit the popular town of Dubrovnik in Croatia, where the mayor recently announced the use of cameras to limit the amount of travellers entering the tourist hotspot.
In the immediate aftermath of his son’s suicide in July 2003, when Don Hooton struggled to understand the hows and the whys connected to Taylor Hooton’s death, all the while navigating through unimaginable grief, Don Hooton says a comment a member of the Plano, Texas law enforcement had made to Don Hooton resonated loudly.
The detective, Hooton says, had inferred that the steroids authorities had found in Taylor’s bedroom might be connected to his suicide. Hooton says that his son suffered from depression and was prone to outbursts, both common symptoms of hardcore steroid users.
“My first instinct was to go to work to find out why,” Hooton told the Daily News in an email. “I began feverishly looking for information and for experts that were willing to talk to me. One of the names that came up regularly was Dr. Gary Wadler.”
Hooton, the founder and the executive chairman of the non-profit Taylor Hooton Foundation – whose mission is to educate the youth in America about the dangers of performance-enhancing drugs and unregulated dietary supplements – spoke fondly of the friendship and impact Wadler had on him and the foundation following Wadler’s death Tuesday. Wadler was 78.
“I called Dr. Wadler and he was more than willing to spend time with me on multiple calls helping me understand the causal relationship between anabolic steroid usage and severe depression and, therefore, suicide. During one of our many conversations, Gary suggested that we form a non-profit organization to raise awareness about the widespread scope of the problem and to educate parents about what to look for that might tell them that their kids are using,” said Hooton. “So, in early 2004, we filed our paperwork and formed an IRS-approved non-profit. Dr. Wadler was our first chairman of our board of directors and we got to work together for a number of years on this cause.
“Since then, we have educated well over one million adults and kids across the U.S., Canada and Latin America. Along the way, the board unanimously elected (Wadler) Chairman Emeritus where he has remained ever since,” added Hooton.
Wadler’s wife, Nancy, told The News that it was the one phone call between her husband and Hooton “which started everything.”
“Gary said to Don, ‘Why don’t you start a foundation, and find a way to make this a meaningful journey?’” said Nancy Wadler.
A year after Taylor’s death, in July 2004, Hooton testified at a Senate hearing in which former Vice President and Sen. Joe Biden and Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) presided. In 2005, when the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform held a hearing on performance-enhancing drug use in baseball, both Hooton and Wadler testified before committee members.
“Gary was a fierce advocate for clean sport,” said Travis Tygart, the chief executive officer of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. “He was selfless in his service and his impact on the movement is immeasurable.”
Wadler, a Long Island internist, and who was also the former chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency’s Prohibited List and Methods Committee, died from complications of a neurodegenerative disease called multiple system atrophy, his wife said.
“It’s rare, and it’s confused with Parkinson’s,” Nancy Wadler said.
Gary Wadler, who is survived by his wife, a daughter and son, two grandchildren and a brother, was a frequent voice in media coverage of the doping issue in sports during the last two decades. And it was Wadler’s years-long friendship with Hooton that helped propel the Taylor Hooton Foundation to the forefront of the anti-doping movement.
“I will always cherish the time that I got to work with Dr. Wadler and admire his intellect and compassion on this important topic,” said Hooton. “He was certainly ahead of his time in recognizing the importance and danger of this growing epidemic. He will be missed.”
Selena GomezIn Dire Straits for MonthsBefore Kidney Transplant
9/14/2017 6:19 AM PDT
Selena Gomez‘skidneys were failing long before she received her transplant … TMZ has learned.
We’ve learned when Selena was in Chicago for The Weeknd‘s concert back in May she was rushed to the hospital because of kidney failure. Abel was right by her side.
At that point Selena was already on a kidney transplant list.
She took a break from touring last year to deal with her lupus diagnosis. It’s a chronic disease that attacks the body’s immune system and the kidneys. She was suffering serious effects from the disease.
Selena now has a new kidney after a transplant this summer, thanks to her donor/best friend Francia Raisa.
Furious commuters slammed the MTA Thursday morning after debris on the subway tracks slowed the commute from upper Manhattan and the Bronx, the MTA said.
There were no trains on the 1, 2 and 3 lines between W. 96th St. and W. 42nd St. because of debris blocking the tracks at W. 50th St., officials said.
“This is unacceptable,” commuter Alicia Hale posted on Twitter. “This is the morning commute – lives and jobs.”
Downtown trains on the No. 2 line were running on the No. 5 tracks from 149th St./Grand Concourse in the Bronx to Nevins St. in Brooklyn.
There were no 3 trains between 148th St. and 34th St.-Penn Station.
The MTA was advising straphangers to take the A or C trains or the M104 bus between W. 34th St. and W. 137th St.
MTA officials said the debris was found at 7:12 am on the tracks north of the 50th St. Station on the 1 Line.
Workers cut power and work crews responded.
A test ran through the area, at 8:11 am.
Service was expected to resume shortly, but the damage was already done, according to straphangers who took to Twitter. “Literally stuck at 168th Haven’t moved 3 ft in 15 min. & then another train arrived,” Twitter user That New York City Fast Pace wrote.
Another poster wrote, “Hundreds of people stuck at 168th station unable to move.”
Nicholas Sawicki wrote, “Some have life coaches. I have the @MTA to inspire me to get up each morning well before the daily breakdown.”
Navah Maynard wrote, “So glad that the @MTA raised the price of my monthly metro card.”
LOS ANGELES — Sacramento Kings forward Zach Randolph was sentenced to community service on Wednesday after being charged with marijuana possession and resisting arrest following an incident last month at a Los Angeles housing project, prosecutors said.
Randolph entered a no-contest plea during a court appearance Wednesday and was immediately sentenced to 150 hours of community service, said Frank Mateljan, a spokesman for the Los Angeles city attorney’s office.
The two-time All-Star may petition the court for the charges to be vacated if he stays out of trouble for a year, Mateljan said.
Randolph initially had been arrested in August on suspicion of possessing marijuana with intent to sell, a felony, but Los Angeles city prosecutors instead charged him with misdemeanor drug possession. Court documents said the 36-year-old Randolph possessed “more than 28.5 grams of marijuana or more than four grams of concentrated cannabis or both.” Randolph also was accused of resisting arrest and obstructing a Los Angeles police officer in the discharge of his or her duties.
Randolph was arrested Aug. 9 at the Nickerson Gardens housing project in Watts after officers observed a crowd of people drinking, smoking marijuana, blasting music and blocking streets, police have said. The officers observed three people, including Randolph, run off but immediately stopped one of the men, police said. Randolph and another man ran inside a home and were arrested after a crowd of bystanders formed and attempted to block the officers, police said.
After the arrests, the crowd grew and people began throwing bottles and rocks, police said. Five police cars and one sheriff’s vehicle ended up with smashed windows and slashed tires, but no officers were injured.
Randolph’s attorney did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment on Wednesday, but he has previously said the charges against his client were “false and misleading.”
Randolph, a 16-year NBA veteran, spent eight seasons with the Memphis Grizzlies before signing with the Kings in July.
Randolph played for Michigan State and was drafted in 2001 by the Portland Trail Blazers. Randolph also played for the New York Knicks and Los Angeles Clippers.
The ex-Jets quarterback opened his re-branded WFAN radio show Thursday by dealing with the news that his long-time partner Craig Carton had resigned amid Ponzi scheme charges.
“I think it’s a good move for Craig,” Esiason said of the Wednesday night announcement, “and I think for he and his family he has to focus supremely on that. That’s the one thing he has to take care of and that’s the one thing we want him to do, we want him and his family to get through this. He’s going to have to put all his energy in that.”
Carton, who had partnered with Esiason for 10 years on the popular “Boomer & Carton” morning show, was arrested and charged last week with running a ticket-sale Ponzi scheme.
“Unfortunately, the unfounded legal issues currently plaguing me will only be a distraction to everyone at WFAN and the show I helped build,” Carton said in a statement. “With that in mind, I have submitted my resignation to the station and they accepted.”
Esiason called it a “a sad day,” but admitted “by resigning he takes a lot of pressure off all of us here at WFAN.”
After saying that he would not be surprised to “someday, somewhere, somehow” find Carton back behind a microphone, Esiason said “we have to move forward.”
“The Boomer and Carton chapter is now closed here,” he added.
The studio even got a quick overnight makeover.
“They came in here and scrubbed this studio,” Esiason told his audience about his new-look digs. “Anything that Craig was part of in studio unfortunately has been taken down … they almost took everything down of me, by the way.”
There was one light-hearted moment when a new jingle for the show was played … “Boomer and Boomer!”
“It’s the end of Boomer and Carton,” Esiason added, “and for 10 years I sat next to somebody who I think, and I still believe this, is one of the great radio personalities that we’ll have ever seen.”
He ended the opening segment by saying, “I wish Craig and his family nothing but the best.”
In papers filed in Manhattan Federal Court, federal authorities allege that the sports radio host tried to raise millions of dollars in 2016 to pay gambling debts to casinos and others.
The chief eurocrat pitched ideas including support for an independent EU finance minister and recommending the merging of the European Union and European Council presidencies.
Jean-Claude Juncker also seem to confirm the emergence of a European Army, with plans for a full EU defence union by 2025.
In the wake of the speech, Nigel Farage tweeted the European Commission president comments would have killed off any Remainers’ desire to stay in the EU.
He posted: “Remain would lose any second EU referendum in the face of Juncker’s plan.”
He said he felt relieved the UK had “left in the nick of time”.
The future painted by Mr Juncker is one where national governments veto power is dissolved and even more power is handed to Brussels, Mr Farage warned.
He said: “The EU is now heading toward a new form of communism with all power at the centre and the member states simply having to obey.
“Unless there s a fightback by freedom-loving forces across Europe we will see the 2019 European elections held on a playing field that is heavily tilted towards the establishment.”
And he said Mr Junker’s plan heralded “the death of the nation state democracy in Europe”.
The MEP also voiced fears over what he saw as removing obstacles to the united European vision through funding allocation.
He said: “It is clear that those who oppose the EU funding project will not receive funding.”
And he claimed that the proposals are “punishing those who have an alternative vision for the future of Europe”.
In his speech, Mr Juncker was positive about the union continuing and flourishing – even in the wake of Brexit.
He said: “March 29, 2019 – that will be the day when the United Kingdom will leave the EU.
“This will be a very sad and tragic moment in our history we will always regret this and I think that you will regret it as well soon if I might say.
“Nonetheless, we have to respect the will of the British people but we are going to make progress, we will keep moving, we will move on because Brexit isn’t everything, it’s not the future of Europe – it’s not the be all and end all.”
Following Mr Juncker’s speech on Wednesday, Mr Farage told the floor: “The message is very clear: Brexit has happened, new steam ahead.”
Jaime Garcia got an early hook — and he wasn’t happy about it.
Garcia admitted he was upset with Joe Girardi after the Yankees manager pulled his nine-year veteran lefty with two outs in the fifth inning of Wednesday’s 3-2 victory over the Rays at Citi Field.
“I don’t think I’ve ever been pleased when a manager takes me out,” said Garcia, 31.
Garcia didn’t even look at Girardi when the manager came to the mound to take the ball. Garcia then said something to himself as he walked back to the dugout. The two ultimately engaged in conversation in the dugout.
“I appreciate it,” Garcia said. “He came over and said it was a tough decision for him and that I was throwing the ball well. But at the end of the day, my job is to execute pitches until they take me out of the game. I thought for the most part I was able to do that today, and the biggest thing is that we won a big game.”
Garcia hadn’t pitched since Aug. 30. He gave up one run on five hits in 4.2 innings while striking out four. He is still winless in six starts since being acquired by the Yankees (0-2, 4.60 ERA).
Girardi decided to take Garcia out after he allowed a double to Lucas Duda. Evan Longoria had been 0-for-2 against Garcia, but the manager elected to bring in lights-out reliever Chad Green. Green got Longoria to fly out to center.
Girardi wasn’t upset with Garcia.
“I don’t want you to want to come out,” Girardi said. “I don’t ever really (make too much of it) in the heat of the moment. I want competitors. I even went up and told him, ‘I understand if you’re mad at me. I get it.’ If it is days after (and a guy is still upset), there’s an issue. But no, I was happy he didn’t want to come out.”
Garcia wished he could’ve gotten the “W.”Girardi also pulled CC Sabathia on Monday night after 4.1 innings.
“I’m not going to sit here and lie to you that getting a win personally isn’t a nice thing, but that’s not the key,” Garcia said. “The main goal right now is to help this team win ballgames and to get to October.”
Garcia will make another start, Girardi said.
“Whenever they need me I’ll be ready to go until they take the ball out of my hand,” Garcia said. “I feel good right now. I feel confident about my stuff. I’m here to help this team. I’m excited to be here.”