With Sean Spicer in the shrubbery — er, on Naval reserve duty — Deputy White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders stepped up and melted down like a boss. Or, like her boss. With speculation that Spicer might remain in the bushes permanently, here are a few things to know about the 34-year-old Huckabee Sanders.
1. Yes, the name is familiar. Her father is former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.
2. She isn’t, however, related to Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders. The Sanders in her name comes from husband Bryan Sanders, a political consultant who worked on his father-in-law’s campaign for the 2008 and 2016 presidential elections.
3. Huckabee Sanders attended Ouachita Baptist University, a private liberal arts university in Arkansas, which her father also attended.
4. Sarah Huckabee Sanders met her husband during her father’s 2008 election campaign — she, the campaign’s field director, hired Sanders. They married in 2010.
5. She also worked on all of her father’s political campaigns. She was the national political director in 2008, and campaign manager in 2016. She was also the field coordinator for George W. Bush’s re-election campaign in 2004.
6. Huckabee Sanders has three children: two girls and a boy.
7. She was a senior adviser on Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign, working on communications targeted toward faith leaders, gun rights supporters, military groups and other coalitions.
8. Huckabee Sanders was named one of Time’s 40 Under 40 in 2010, when she praised her father and then-President Obama in the same interview.
9. She gave her first press briefing on May 5, when Spicer was out for the Naval Reserve Duty at the Pentagon supposedly keeping him out all this week.