The State Department on Monday replaced a video posted by a U.S. embassy in Saudi Arabia after a New York congressman complained it omitted Israel as one of the stops on President Trump’s upcoming trip to the region.
In a letter sent to Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, New York Rep. Eliot Engel raised alarms that the video posted by the embassy in Riyadh used video of Trump announcing the trip — but edited out his mention of Israel as a destination in between stops in Saudi Arabia and the Vatican.
“I am appalled that the US Embassy in Saudi Arabia disingenuously posted this incomplete and misleading video,” Engel, a Bronx Democrat, wrote in the letter.
“At a time when the United States should be encouraging the governments of the region—and their people—to promote tolerance, respect, and mutual recognition this video implies that the U.S. accepts Saudi Arabia’s public rejectionist position toward Israel,” Engel added.
A State Department official told the Daily News that the video was posted in error and has since been replaced by the complete video of Trump announcing the trip, including the stop in Israel.
“The U.S. Embassy in Riyadh shared a version of the video announcement from a private Saudi citizen’s social media account,” the official said. “Unknowingly, the shared version had been edited to remove the word “Israel.”
The official added that “the embassy expresses its regret for this inadvertent mistake.”
The embassy had shared the initial video on its Arabic-language Twitter handle, @USAinKSA.